Saturday, March 14, 2009

Real Happiness

Doctor: What's your age Manjuben?
Manjuben: 53years.
Doctor: But you look elder than that! Moreover, it appears from your face that you're very sad. What's your problem?
Manjuben: You're right doctor. I'm very sad. I feel emptiness in my life. Loneliness is killing me. I've lost interest in my life. My life is miserable.
Doctor: Since how long you are feeling like this? Or in other words, when were you happy last time?
Manjuben(after recalling): When all of us were together in my family. My husband, I & my kids- a daughter & a son.
Doctor: What happened then? Tell me your story from beginning.
Manjuben: I got married before 30 years. My husband was a kind person. We were economically not that sound but he worked hard & our financial situation got better day by day. He used to work for long hours in office while I used to take care of all household matters. Then came the kids & I got busy upbringing them. I used to enjoy preparing foods, sewing clothes, educating & playing for them. I was so happy that I didn't realize how quickly they got young & mature. Then my daughter got married & my son went abroad for studies & ultimately got settled there. A few years back, my husband died & I'm now left alone in my house. Financially there is no problem but there is nothing I feel to live for.
Doctor: But your daughter must be coming to meet you occasionally & you can also go to her house to meet her. You can also think to go with your son if he is willing.
Manjuben: My son often calls me & insists that I should go there but that will be a bigger isolation problem with adustment problem at this age. I've never been outside India in all my life. My daughter used to come frequently to take my care but with her kids growing it is very difficult for her to spare time for me & I alse feel odd to disturb unnecessarily in their life.
Doctor: & other relative or neighbours?
Manjuben: I used to go to meet them to kill time initially but I don't feel right to waste someone's time again & again. Everyone's busy these days. Who has spare time for you everytime?
Doctor: From your story, it seems that you like people & also like to help them.Your feeling of happiness is directly related with the feeling of helping someone. Lack of that feeling makes you sad & purposeless. I've thought a solution for that. One of my friend runs an institution for physically challenged children. He needs a dedicated worker. If you can agree I can suggest your name. You are kind, you like children & above all you enjoy helping someone. I feel that this is the kind of work that will give you such joy, satisfaction & sense of worth that you won't feel emptiness in your life. Rather, your life will have some purpose. I think you're the right person for such kind of work. Just think about it. You can take your time. There is no hurry.
Manjuben(without thinking for a second): I'm ready to take that work. You just ask your friend if I can join from tomorrow.
Doctor: & salary?
Manjuben: Doesn't matter. I'll take whatever they can offer.
Doctor: O.K. Manjuben, I'll see that you can join from tomorrow & let me know how's your experience after a couple of weeks. Best of luck!
Manjuben: Thank you doctor.
( After 15 days)
Manjuben: Hello doctor! How are you?
Doctor: Oh, Manjuben! What a pleasant surprise? You have totally changed! You look younger by 15 years in 15 days! How's your work, bye the way?
Manjuben: Absolutely fine. I went there the next day & understood the work on the very first day. I took the responsibility & started working for kids from the next day. It gave me such a satisfaction & confidence that I felt my life worth something. I found the meaning of my life & also of happiness. It's not in living for self but in living for others.
Doctor: You're quite right. If you can see yourself in true perspective, you can have your real identity. After finding your true self, your happiness depends on the amont of your inner strength you can utilize in your life. More you work on it, the happier you become. This is the key to have real happiness in the life.
Manjuben: I can realize that doctor. Thanks a lot for your advice & help to find me the meaning of my life & happiness.
Doctor: It was my duty. But take these lines with you as you leave,
अपने लिए जीए तो क्या जीए, तू जी अय दिल ज़माने के लिए!

No comments:

Post a Comment